Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Enjoy it when I can, while I can, because I can


"The first day of spring is one thing, and the first spring day is another.  The difference between them is sometimes as great as a month."  ~ Henry Van Dyke
Northern Nevada does not spring into spring. It gets here gradually. I have tried to find joy in spring when I can, while I can, because I can. 
I am used to the central Nevada high desert spring, which is more windy, but less severe. This spring, I have been a little tried by all of the coat zipping and boot hunting before every outdoor encounter. A part of me just wants to burn the pile of coats, hats, gloves and scarves by the door, instead of wash them and save them for next year.
Cold or no cold, spring is here and there is always something to do. Daddy has been preparing for the spring run off with poop dams and ditches. Occasionally, the boys and I tag along just to get away from the hum-drum, or to help shuttle equipment.
Slowly, and from under our caps, we can see spring take over the land. Birds of every species have either come home or are migrating through. In the fields, grass pokes through the stubble of last year. Little yellow flowers are popping out along the fence and under sagebrush. The water is begining to flow, and the pace of it as it takes over the fields, is quickening...
Wherever I am, in Nevada, it is always sweet to smell spring emerge. It is exhilarating to find green in the crevice of the usual dull browns and tans, and hear birds chirp their happiness over a light (instead of fierce) breeze.
And, despite the cool temperature, these sure signs of spring give us a sense that we getting there.
The past two or three days have been true spring days for us Northern Nevadans. The coats and hats are morning and evening wear, and most of our time is spent outdoors. A very welcome respite.
In these wide open spaces, with the freedom to run off that pent up energy of winter, we all seem happier than we have in months.
How my boys must appreciate the warmth of the sun, as Old Man Winter prepares to sleep.
It is nice to see them run comfortably, without a coat or scarf. They seem more intent to explore and play and imagine and entertain themselves.
These days, all they want to do is
"Go to work, like Daddy."
And they are not kidding.
So, I will not burn the coats and hats, or even put them away for the season, just yet. It is still cool enough to freeze water at night. We have all seen snow beyond Memorial Weekend. But, I will promise to enjoy each and every moment of sunshine and true spring weather, when I can, while I can, because I can.
Thanks for reading,
HjB
May 5, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment